INSPIRE Community Forum

CRS in Atlantic Islands ( eg Azores and Madeira)

• Public

CRS in Atlantic Islands ( eg Azores and Madeira)

Started by Jordi ESCRIU Replies (4)

Dear Cluster members,

I proceed to copy here (in the Coordinate Reference Systems subgroup) the following question / discussion initiated by Artur Seara on the general group of the cluster (from here).

It is purely related to Coordinate Reference Systems.

[From Artur Seara]:

I checked the validation reports on geographic data sets from Madeira and Azores Islands and there is always a lack of conformity in the reference system. The one we use in Portugal for our islands is ITRF93, EPSG codes 5014, 5015 e 5016. INSPIRE IR on CRS say " ...or the datum of the International Terrestrial Reference System (ITRS) or other geodetic coordinate reference systems compliant with ITRS in areas that are outside the geographical scope of ETRS89..." ITRF93 is, as far as I know compliant with these conditions...Any of you have a hint on the cause for this anomaly reported in the validation procedure?

Thank you all

Jordi

Replies

• Public

By Jordi ESCRIU

Dear Artur,

In my view this seems a problem of the validator.

The validation tool probably lacks of a full list of overseas territories CRSs proposed by the Member States. In other words, the tool is currently unable to detect that the CRS to which your data set is referred is a valid CRS according to the Implementing Rule on Interoperability of Spatial Datasets and Services.  

I recommend you to ask this question directly to the European Geoportal managers at: inspire-geoportal@jrc.ec.europa.eu, requesting for more information about the aspects tested regarding coordinate reference systems.

Any other similar experience in the cluster?

Jordi

• Public

By Jordi ESCRIU

Dear Artur,

Did you managed to get a proper answer to your question / validation issue?

Jordi

• Public

By Jordi ESCRIU

I proceed to copy below the answer from Artur Seara, which arrived me by email:

Bom dia Jordi.

Tentei responder no cluster mas não consegui.

Tanto quanto sei a questão foi abordada em encontros do MIG-T, até pela Islândia que não pode usar o ETRS89, mas não houve ainda alterações no validador. Claro que a situação não é muito grave, o "erro" apontado é um warning, não propriamente uma desconformidade.

As for Artur's response, MIG-T seems to have discussed this issue. Other territories outside the continental Europe, like Iceland are affected by this problem with the validator.

Hopefully the INSPIRE Validator will be corrected soon, despite it is just a warning.

Jordi

• Public

By Jordi ESCRIU

I asked Artur Seara to provide a validation report confirming this issue with the validator.

As per his message below...

Boa tarde caro Jordi. Acabo de testar os MD de uma cartografia com o validator2 no site INSPIRE e já não dá nenhum warning...deve ter sido feita alguma alteração ao validador. O meu colega, Henrique Silva do MIG também experimentou com outros metadados, dos Açores também, e confirma que já não há warning.

Obrigado

...the problem is already solved in the validator, i.e. the warning disappeared.

Hence, I proceed to close this discussion topic.

Jordi

This discussion is closed.

This discussion is closed and is not accepting new comments.

Elevation, Ortho & Grids

Elevation, Ortho & Grids

INSPIRE Thematic Cluster Elevation, Orthoimagery, Reference systems, Geographical grids - Join this group to share your knowkledge, learn and collaborate in solving issues related to the Elevation, Orthoimagery, Reference systems and Geographical grids themes