INSPIRE Thematic Clusters

Is it obligatory to recalculate the values in cubic meters into tons using some general formulas

• Public

Is it obligatory to recalculate the values in cubic meters into tons using some general formulas

Started by Jouni VUOLLO Replies (2)

I am MIG-T contact person from Estonia.

In our Geological department have question about "Mineral resources" theme harmonization. Because there is no webpage or forum yet available, where to post their question, I will send it directly to you. Hope you can direct me to right person or do you know, is some countries facing same problem.

Data specification on Mineral Resources AnnexF (informative) Classification of Commodities The following table shows the combined

CommodityValue and ImportanceValue code lists that is used for the Mineral resources layers styles recommended to be supported by INSPIRE view services (see Section 11.3).

In Estonia some mineral reources (sand, gravel, carbonate rocks) are calculated in cubic meters, but according to the Inspire directive all the values have to be given in tons:

Is it obligatory to recalculate the values in cubic meters into tons using some general formulas (average density etc)?

Replies

• Public

By Uffe LARSEN

We have the same problem with our deposits of sand and gravel. The sizes of the occurrences and amount of produced material are all reported in cubic meters. Up till now I have used a density of 1.7 tons/cubic meters for all sand and gravel deposits. It is not based on any elaborate deduction or statistics but on product lists from sand and gravel producers. 1.7 should be the density of natural sand and gravel and is quite high compared to other sand and gravel products that have a density down to 1.4.  When I think about it, I should have chosen a lower density because it would be safer to underestimate the size of the deposit rather than to overestimate the size.

• Public

By Jouni VUOLLO

Hi!

We discuss this issue at GTK yesterday and we have the same situation and plan to do this same kind of calculation from cubic metres to tons/density like 1.7tons!

Earth Science Cluster

Earth Science Cluster

Join this group to share your knowledge, learn and collaborate with INSPIRE Earth Science Cluster for Geology, Soils, Natural Risk Zones, Mineral resources, and Energy resources