INSPIRE Community Forum

Geonetwork 3.4 and THREDDS/ERDDAP server

• Public

Geonetwork 3.4 and THREDDS/ERDDAP server

Started by Nicolas de Ville de Goyet Replies (7)

Hello Everyone,

I'm studying the combination of an ERDDAP server with a GeoNetwork as an INSPIRE-compliant system for storing and providing binary format datasets (e.g. NetCDF) .

My problem is that ERDDAP (as well as THREDDS) make uses of the gmi:MI_Metadata format ( ISO19115-2 ) which is not recognized by Geonetwork (it is possible to import Metadata files but they can't be visualised). Furthermore it seems that ISO19115-2 is not accepted as INSPIRE-compliant.

I see that in the version 3.4 of Geonetwork, there is an option for converting gmi to gmd but it only works on a local directory harvesting. My objective is to harvest from the WAF available on the ERDDAP server. So I have two questions:

- Do you know a technical solution for a proper harvesting of the ERDDAP Metadata into Geonetwork? Is there like a plug-in for Geonetwork to read gmi or is it mandatory to convert to gmd? What about the loss of information then?

- Is the use of the ISO19115-2 INSPIRE-compliant, and if not, is there a chance that it will be accepted in the future or is it a standard that has been definitely abandoned for INSPIRE?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Nicolas

Replies

• Public

By Francois PRUNAYRE
    Hello Nicolas,

Here is some ideas on GeoNetwork side:

* option 1 : Improve gmi2gmd conversion which is currently pretty basic (with loss of information)
    * option 1' : option1 + add support to gmi.xsd (but as far as I remember there is GML version conflict between gmd.xsd and gmi.xsd so this would require some work). We made some experiments in the past, but none of them are in GeoNetwork core. eg. Cruise summary report schema make use of gmi.xsd (https://github.com/metadata101/iso19139.sdn-csr/blob/master/src/main/plugin/iso19139.sdn-csr/schema/SDN2_CSR_ISO19139_3.0.0.xsd) but that is a custom 19139 extension
    * option 2: Update ISO19115-3 schema (https://github.com/ISO-TC211/XML/tree/master/standards.iso.org/iso/19115 and https://github.com/metadata101/iso19115-3) to the latest version which includes 19115-2 and provide import from ISO19139 gmi records

On the long run, option 2 would be the way to go I think.

Kind regards.

Francois
    • Public

By James PASSMORE

If you want to use some other metadata standard than that described in the INSPIRE technical guidance (TG), then it should be possible, but you'll need to do the mapping to the required content described in the Implementing rules (law).

All the TG says effectively (applies to all TG) is if you follow these rules you will be compliant, not that there is no other way to be compliant.

• Public

By Katharina SCHLEIDT

Hiya,

question to ERDDAP - does this now support SOS 2.0 (last I saw it only did V1.0, whereas the guidance for SOS requires V2.0), or via what service do you plan on making the NetCDF available? Also - you'd need mapping from the data specifications to the NetCDF for INSPIRE Compliance

:?

Kathi

• Public

By Nicolas de Ville de Goyet

Hello everyone, thanks for your replies!

@Francois: Indeed installing the Geonetwork plug-in with the ISO 19115-3 seems to be the most consistent approach as it avoids a loss of information and doesn’t need to create a new gmi2gmd conversion schema (time consuming!). As soon as I have upgraded my version of Geonetwork I’ll try that option.

@ James: Something worth remembering indeed! Although I would not go too far away from the TG as you may find yourself quite alone then ;)

@ Kathi: Hello, long time no news :) . The ERDDAP server comes with a WMS service that can be used in Geonetwork (I guess). I’ll use then ERDDAP (or maybe THREDDS) to store/query/sample/... the NetCDF and harvest the Metadata on Geonetwork.

Regarding the INSPIRE data specification, as it is still unclear how to manage large binary files in the form of gml files, I will use the out-of-band encoding gml files to link to the ERDDAP server. Not perfect of course but the community (e.g. marine data) means to keep using binary files for large datasets (NetCDF, ODV,…) so there is limited interest (for now at least) in creating gml files with the data explicitly embedded in it.

Regarding SOS 2.0 support I don't know what is supported or not!

Cheers,

Nicolas

p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 115%; }

• Public

Hello Francois,

Trying to implement the ISO19115-3 plugin in geonetwork 3.4.4 I ran into some problems when compiling the application with maven.

The error logs says:

[INFO] Building GeoNetwork schema plugins core 3.4
    [INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [WARNING] The POM for org.geonetwork-opensource:common:jar:3.4.4-SNAPSHOT is missing, no dependency information available

[INFO] GeoNetwork opensource .............................. SUCCESS [  0.089 s]
    [INFO] common utils ....................................... SUCCESS [  2.314 s]
    [INFO] Caching xslt module ................................ SUCCESS [  0.036 s]
    [INFO] ArcSDE module (dummy-api) .......................... SUCCESS [  0.042 s]
    [INFO] GeoNetwork domain .................................. SUCCESS [  8.375 s]
    [INFO] Oaipmh modules ..................................... SUCCESS [  0.047 s]
    [INFO] GeoNetwork Events .................................. SUCCESS [  0.035 s]
    [INFO] GeoNetwork schema plugins .......................... SUCCESS [  0.001 s]
    [INFO] GeoNetwork schema plugins core ..................... FAILURE [  0.014 s]
    [INFO] GeoNetwork schema plugin for ISO19139/119 standards  SKIPPED
    [INFO] GeoNetwork index using Elasticsearch ............... SKIPPED
    [INFO] GeoNetwork index Elasticsearch client .............. SKIPPED
    [INFO] GeoNetwork core .................................... SKIPPED
    [INFO] GeoNetwork schema plugin for Dublin Core records retrieved by CSW SKIPPED
    [INFO] GeoNetwork schema plugin for Dublin Core standard .. SKIPPED
    [INFO] GeoNetwork schema plugin for ISO19110 standard ..... SKIPPED
    [INFO] GeoNetwork CSW server .............................. SKIPPED
    [INFO] GeoNetwork harvesters .............................. SKIPPED
    [INFO] GeoNetwork health monitor .......................... SKIPPED
    [INFO] GeoNetwork services ................................ SKIPPED
    [INFO] Geonetwork Web Resources 4 Java .................... SKIPPED
    [INFO] GeoNetwork INSPIRE Atom ............................ SKIPPED
    [INFO] GeoNetwork dashboard app based on Kibana ........... SKIPPED
    [INFO] messaging .......................................... SKIPPED
    [INFO] workers ............................................ SKIPPED
    [INFO] WFS features harvester ............................. SKIPPED
    [INFO] Tests for schema plugins ........................... SKIPPED
    [INFO] GeoNetwork user interface module ................... SKIPPED
    [INFO] JS API and Service documentation ................... SKIPPED
    [INFO] GeoNetwork Web module .............................. SKIPPED
    [INFO] GeoNetwork E2E Javascript Tests .................... SKIPPED
    [INFO] BUILD FAILURE
    [INFO] Total time: 14.623 s
    [INFO] Finished at: 2019-01-28T16:37:48+01:00
    [INFO] Final Memory: 52M/346M
    [ERROR] Failed to execute goal on project schema-core: Could not resolve dependencies for project org.geonetwork-opensource:schema-core:jar:3.4: Failure to find org.geonetwork-opensource:common:jar:3.4.4-SNAPSHOT in https://raw.githubusercontent.com/geonetwork/core-maven-repo/master was cached in the local repository, resolution will not be reattempted until the update interval of core-maven-repo has elapsed or updates are forced -> [Help 1]

The problem doesn't seems to be linked to the ISO19115-3 plugin but rather the link to the github to find the pom file of the core plugin is not resolvable.
    Do you think it's a bug worth mentioning in github or is there a step I missed somehow?!

Thanks for your help!

Nicolas

P.S. the error log is the compilation test without the plugin! (trying to understand if I created the error while integrating the plugin)

• Public

By Francois PRUNAYRE

Hi Nicolas, 

it is better to use 3.6.x and ISO19115-3 branch 3.5.x. 

The ISO19115-3 plugin is not part of the official GeoNetwork release as far as 2018 amendment is implemented (see https://github.com/metadata101/iso19115-3/issues/40) and so far there is no maintained version for old release like 3.4.x. All "known" users (supporting its development) of this plugin are working on 3.6.x branch of GeoNetwork (eg. Ifremer, Walonia region).

Francois

• Public

Hello Francois,

Thank you for your input. I managed to solve the problem with a more recent version indeed (and better understanding of maven).

Nicolas

This discussion is closed.

This discussion is closed and is not accepting new comments.