INSPIRE Thematic Clusters

An example of harmonizing a dataset to the INSPIRE data model

An example of harmonizing a dataset to the INSPIRE data model

GEUS, the Geological Survey of Denmark and Greenland has to deliver harmonized WMS- and WFS services for several geological maps.

INSPIRE has decided which geological attributes to describe for a geological map. Each attribute must be described by a term chosen fro  m a set of INSPIRE description terms (codelists). This can result in a large amount of work for the academically responsible geologists, who needs to translate national data-descriptions into INSPIRE codelists.

This presentation shows how an interactive visualization of codelists gave the academically responsible an overview, making it easier to choose the right terms for a INSPIRE harmoniziation of data.        

You can find the presentation here: An example of harmonizing a dataset to the INSPIRE data model

Contact information: 
Marianne B. Wiese (GEUS - Denmark)
mbw@geus.dk

Replies

• Public

By Aurete PEREIRA

Hello Marianne

Thank you very much for the PPT. I totally agree with you that it's easier to get an overview of geology INSPIRE codelist with the three-structure visualization. Is it possible for you to share with me how did you get the tree from page 12? Which SW did you use it?

Thank you very much.

Hope hearing from you soon. Best regards.

Aurete from LNEG (the portuguese geological survey).

• By Lola Boquera

Hello colleagues,

Congrats for the work Marianne! I feel very identify with the problems you faced.

I'd like asking you two questions: What equivalency within the codeList LithologyValue did you use for the lithology marl or marlstone? And did your whole cronostratigraphic table fit with the timescale used in INSPIRE DS_GE (IUGS/CGI)?

Hello Aurete, How are you?? I think the tree form in the page 12, is how you can find them in the new website of INSPIRE, at the beginning in September of 2016, I could find the code Lists represented in tree form!!  But now I can’t find them in this form…I don’t know why?, However they continue in alphabetical order.

Take the opportunity to ask both of you, if you know the accuracy of the geologic age ( Era, Period, Epoch, stage..) to be INSPIRE compliant?.

Best regards,

Lola Boquera from ICGC (Official Catalan Mapping and Geological Agency)

• Public

By Aurete PEREIRA

Hello Lola

I'm not sure what do you mean by accuracy of the geologic age?

Regards

• Public

By Christine HÖRFARTER

Hello,

Thank you so much for the ppt and thanks for your questions showing we are not alone :-). I don’t know if it will help you but what we tried on our Geological Survey is to link the lithologies we use (maintained in our Thesaurus) with codes from INSPIRE and GeoSciML. Below, I send you the link of the lithology concept “marlstone” and when you click on the “+LinkedData” bar you will see the related INSPIRE/GeoSciML concept/code we use at the moment, including the mapping relation (close match ore broad match and so on). You will also find such links in the Topic Geologic Time Scale. Maybe it is useable for you?

Link: http://resource.geolba.ac.at/lithology/192.html

Greetings from Austria and

Best regards

Christine

• By Marianne WIESE

Hello Aurete

Yes, visualization makes a difference ;)

I built upon the tree view in D3, which is free to use.
    I have attached my little war file to the presentation You can put it on a webserver to see it work and unzip it to see the files.
    Please note, this is just an early example, nothing to be used officially!

Best Regard
    Marianne

• Public

By Marianne WIESE

Hello Lola

I am not a geologist myself, I sat down with the geologist responsible for a specific map and went through the legend item by item, to find the best match. We had no marlstone in our map, so did not need to find out.
    Also we simply took the best available match for the time periods.
    It may well be, that the official codelists will need refinement in some places. The interactive visualization might just help our local geologist to ask for changes to the codelists.

Best Regards
    Marianne

• Public

By Marianne WIESE

Hello Christine

Thank you for the link!

I think it would be difficult to make a 1:1 mapping for every lithology used on our danish and greenlandic maps. In some cases the same danish word may have a little more specialized meaning in certain old maps. As long as we have the old geologists working, it would be nice to be able to ask them, which INSPIRE term best describes a certain legenditem. That is why I made this visualization.

Best Regards
    Marianne

• Public

By Christine HÖRFARTER

Hello Marianne,

Thank you for your reply. I totally understand what you mean. Just thought the link could help Lola for getting another information how to match a lithology vocabulary with an agreeable INSPIRE code.

Best regards

Christine

• Public

By Chris SCHUBERT

Dear colleagues,

just a comment to Marianne's issue. A 1:1 mapping from a national/regional classification to this agreed European vocabulary for INSPIRE brings some uncertainties. At least you are able to catch the semantic and make it comparable on this level (7).

The INSPIRE lithology code list carrying a tag "Extensibility" (here Extensible with values at any level). Christine and their Geological Survey providing and maintaining a fantastic Vocabulary Server (her link above) with more specific, detailed values than INSPIRE vocabulary.

This Service we used, to make this extension available & visible in in a further INSPIRE vocab Service, it is called Register federation:

http://inspire-regadmin.jrc.ec.europa.eu/ror/detail.jsp?type=registers&id=ea507df33d0defbf03c0aefc9ca4dea8

With this you are able to create a visible relation from "Flyvesand" to sand as more specific term. But a basic condition is, that GEUS has to provide this individual vocabulary for the web with a kind of  "identifier" (uri, etc.). Sorry for the technical stuff before weekend. For any question I#m following the comments.

Cherrs

Chris

• Public

By Aurete PEREIRA

Hello Marianne,

Thanks a lot for the files and instructions. Me and my colleague Pedro Patinha have just tried and it's working. It's very nice to view the hierarchy between the terms. I also agree with you that it's easier to see errors.

For example, the Oligocene and Eocene parent ID are wrong in INSPIRE registry. It should be Paleogene and not Cenozoic. Tim, I think you should report this errors to the JRC team!

Best regards

Aurete

Earth Science Cluster

Earth Science Cluster

Join this group to share your knowledge, learn and collaborate with INSPIRE Earth Science Cluster for Geology, Soils, Natural Risk Zones, Mineral resources, and Energy resources