INSPIRE Thematic Clusters

Examples of INSPIRE view and dowload services for LC/LU

Dear all

We would like share with you our experiences in the generation of INSPIRE view and download webservices about Land Cover and Land Use. Behind you can find the urls for WMS and WFS for CORINE Land Cover data and National Land Cover and Land Use System (SIOSE) data.

The general steps that we have proceeded to generate them:

1. Feature Land Cover and Land Use in agreement with Application schemas: Mapping process between LC and LU INSPIRE schema and CORINE and SIOSE schemas
  2. Run the transformation of the previous mapping, obtaining as result a ‘INSPIRE oriented’ PostGIS database with CORINE and SIOSE features. This database is not compliant INSPIRE but has all INSPIRE requirements (features, attributes and relations) individually identified and easily to be used latter for webservices.
  3. Create of INSPIRE view and download services with GeoServer (WMS) and Degree (WFS) according to Implementing Rules for Network Services. The INSPIRE data schema is retrieved by the data content from the ‘INSPIRE oriented’ PostGIS database.

http://www.ign.es/wms-inspire/ocupacion-suelo

• LC. CORINE Land Cover data. Portrayal: default style and CORINE colour style. Availability CORINE data for 1990, 2000, 2006 and 2012, accessible by parameter TIME.

• LU. SIOSE data. Portrayal: default style. Scale visualization range: >50.000. Availability SIOSE data for 2005 and 2011, accessible by parameter TIME.

http://www.ign.es/wfs-inspire/ocupacion-suelo

• LC. CORINE Land Cover data for 1990, 2000, 2006 and 2012. As it has been just detected, this type of service, due to the relationship between LandCoverDataset and LandCoverUnit, provokes enormous getFeature requests for the LandCoverDataset features. To be consumed by QGIS, it is necessary to use a special pluggin and work with reduced bbox.

To finish, I have some questions for the community readers in order to know if we follow the correct way this work:

Any of you have performed a similar experience with INSPIRE view or download services?

Did you have similar impressions in the process of services creation?

Any of you have planned to proceed in similar way with national data?

My best regards

Replies

• Public

By James PASSMORE

Out of interest why did you choose deegree to do the WFS and GeoServer to do the WMS?  Why not GeoServer for WFS and WMS or deegree for WMS and WFS? 

• Public

By Julián DELGADO

Dear James,

That was our first idea, to use only one tool for WMS and WFS. But after checking them we found complicate Degree for creating WMS (easier with GeoServer) and GeoServer was not able to develop WFS for themes with complicate applciation schemas.

My best regards

• Public

By Anna WOŹNICKA

We tested the WMS service to our geoportals of the subject land use.
    Example:
    http://www.sulmierzyce.geoportalgminy.pl,
    http://www.pajeczno.geoportalgminy.pl,
    http://www.parzeczew.geoportalgminy.pl

Service WFS works equally simple, just download. Based on the solution server qgis. On request, we can demonstrate how it works.

The software is based on open source based mainly on the program qgis and server qgis.

in our country (Poland) we do not implement rules concerning the harmonization of spatial data. Therefore we look forward to implementing legislation.

Best regards

Anna Woźnicka

• Public

By James PASSMORE

That was our first idea, to use only one tool for WMS and WFS. But after checking them we found complicate Degree for creating WMS (easier with GeoServer) and GeoServer was not able to develop WFS for themes with complicate applciation schemas.

We have almost the opposite WFS experience.  We have used deegree to create a complex feature WFS (using ERML) for the Minerals4EU/Eurare project, configuration is OK, but we have found deegree has issues when you want to query the service:

WFS GetFeature POST request with filter fails to evaluate xlink:href attribute

We have used GeoServer to configure complex feature WFS for our Geology services (GeoSciML) and that has no such issue with querying.

• Public

By Stefania MORRONE

Hi James,

I was involved in the setup of test View and Download services for a Land Cover dataset coming from transformation of CLC 2006 data. Please find links to WFS and WMS serving this LC GML dataset I uploaded on the TC.

Both WFS and WMS are created by means of deegree software.

In my case I didn't have to struggle with WMS, conversely I had to edit the SQL feature store configuration file automatically created by deegree (i.e. manually add many missing pieces sad)  to get conformity of WFS served features to LC DS (i.e. to get GML dataset served by the WFS successfully pass schema as well as schematron validation in the eENVplus Validation Service).

Don't know if this is related to the inability to get your WMS, but I noticed that your WFS dataset does not pass validation - not even against LC schema. For example mandatory elements beginLifespanVersion and mosaic are missing (maybe you have the elements in your DB but they’re empty? I experienced that in this case deegree may not include them in WFS response)

I also tried Geoserver to setup WMS and WFS, but I was not able to create a WFS serving gml:surface/patches/polygonPatches geometries (in accordance to LC constraint on geometries). Conversely a service could be created changing geometry encoding to MultiSurface (solution not conformant to IR).

Hope this helps

Stefania

• Public

By James PASSMORE

Hi Stefania,

Don't know if this is related to the inability to get your WMS, but I noticed that your WFS dataset does not pass validation - not even against LC schema.

My comments about experiences of  suitability of software for providing complex feature WFS  were more general. Neither my WFS mentioned are to do with LC, so that's probably why they aren't schema valid.

My comment about deegree was not so much about schema validity, but with the ability to query the service, I mean, there's no point in being able to create a schema valid service, if people can't then query the service to return meaningful results.

• Public

By Paul van Genuchten

Hi, I have not been involved with implementation of LC in the Netherlands, but would like to add some general comments. For a topic as land cover to serve it as WMS may be a challenge for Quality of Service (capacity and responsiveness, common practice to resolve this is to put safe scaledenominators, which is a bad practice from usability). In stead I would recommend to use WMTS. There are several products available that can serve WMTS (on top of any WMS backend). For example Mapcache, GeoWebCache and Mapproxy. Mapproxy has an interesting additional feature, it can serve WMS from a WMTS backend by stitching tiles on the fly.